I said in a previous post that I try not to make resolutions as I usually break them as i cannot be arsed with the change, but this year I think I need to or my waistline will end up the size of the Kuiper Belt. So if you are going to do such a thing, here are some helpful tips.
- Pick one resolution, or one more than you completed last year. Your odds of staying focused improve.
- Look at last years list and evaluate where you failed. Too ambitious? Where did you give up? Use this self-knowledge to inform this year’s resolutions.
- Break any resolution into monthly goals so you have short term focus.
- Find a friend who can sign up to the same goal. We are social creatures, and our goals should be social.
- Write down the resolution and sign it. Writing has power.
- Put your written resolution somewhere useful (e.g. in front of the fridge)
- Have a daily positive task – mark off a day on a calendar every day you’ve met your resolution. You get a positive visual reminder you’re on your way.
- Divide further: simply make a resolution for January, and re-evaluate on Feb 1st.